The College Development Council shall serve as an academic guide to the college system on the one hand and on the other hand to ensure availability and use of facilities to the teachers in the colleges by taking all steps as it may think fit for the promotion, coordination and raising the standard of education in colleges.
For the purposes of performance of its functions it will function as a policy making body in regard to proper planning and integrated development of colleges.
• The CDC accords permission/affiliation to run a college, subject to fulfilment of stipulated conditions.
• Conduct surveys of all affiliated colleges with a view to preparing and maintaining an up-to-date profile on each college affiliated to the University, reviewing the existing facilities and identifying the needs and gaps that need to be filled up for the development of colleges and make such information available to the UGC and other concerned bodies
• Advise the University on all matters relating to development of affiliated colleges such as provision of adequate facilities - academic and physical - for raising thereof learning, teaching and research standard and its periodical / annual evaluation by appointing FFCs, for enabling the University to maintain reasonable continuity of policy in regard to the development of colleges
• Prepare perspective plan for the development and opening of new colleges to enable the University and State Education authorities to take long term decisions on the planning and development of colleges.
• The Andhra Pradesh State Council of Higher Education accords permission to colleges to start Under-Graduate or Post-Graduate Courses. The CDC shall co-ordinate the inspections for starting of new colleges or courses.
• The AICTE accords permission for MBA, MCA, B.Pharm. and M. Pharm. courses; Based on the permission and after verification of the infrastructural facilities, laboratories, faculty and other amenities the CDC accords affiliation to the colleges to run the courses.
• Every year, CDC organizes affiliation inspections to colleges for extending the temporary affiliation from time to time or permanent affiliation.
• CDC also co-ordinates between the Colleges (which are included under section 2 (f) & 12 (B) of UGC Act) for development grants and their proper utilization.
• CDC organizes seminars/symposia/workshops to the colleges on quality assurance in higher education/practicals etc
• Advise the University in regard to rationalization and implementation of University policy on affiliation of colleges.
• Help the University in the implementation of the regulations framed by the UGC regarding minimum standard of instruction for the award of first degree and also regarding restructuring of courses at the undergraduate level.
• Help in the selective development of colleges, to remove regional imbalances and also assist the colleges to realize their potential and in identification of colleges for autonomous status.
• Ensure close and continued contact and other interactions between the academic faculties at the University teaching departments and at the colleges and to perform such other functions as may be prescribed or as may be deemed necessary by the University for advancing the cause of collegiate education.